The Security Level Is High in the U.S. Over the Iran Threat; Police Are Guarding All Jewish and Israeli Targets
Members of the New York Police Department are seen Jan. 26, 2012 in New York City.
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
"We expect it and we are ready," one senior Israeli official told ABC News.
Israeli officials told ABC News that the level of personal security on high-ranking Embassy officials as well as other, lower profile officials in the U.S. is at its highest in at least five years, a response to what they called "a coordinated series of attacks." When Israeli officials travel to and from events, ABC News has observed a notable increase in the security presence.
Federal officials told ABC News that there is so far no specific intelligence of any threat to Israeli interests in the U.S. They also noted that in cities like New York and Washington, D.C., "the targets are much harder" than in countries like India, Georgia and Thailand, where Iran has allegedly attacked or attempted to attack in the past two days. But they also added that Iran can be "belligerent."
Frank Cilluffo, director of the Homeland Security Policy Institute at George Washington University in D.C., agreed that the recent incidents in India, Georgia, Thailand and Azerbaijan have "all the hallmarks of a concerted campaign" that could extend to U.S. soil.
"The recent attack on a Saudi official in Washington shows a willingness to attack in the United States," said Cilluffo. "This could be an indicator of a much broader campaign and it is right to take precautionary measures."
Those measures include routine sweeps of cars, residences, and consulates around the country, as well as the Israeli Embassy in Washington.
In New York City, where fixed police posts at the Israeli consulate have been a feature for years, additional sweeps of residences and cars are being performed in conjunction with New York City Police Department Bomb Squad members and members of other specialized police units.
Source: ABC News | RICHARD ESPOSITO
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Kirk Franklin Lands New BET Hosting Gig
- Blind Legal Activist Chen Guangcheng Confirms Chinese Government Has Pressured NYU to Boot Him Out
- Author Kimberla Lawson Roby Greets Fans Across the Globe
- Tasha Cobbs’ Hit Anthem ‘Break Every Chain’ is #1 on Billboard’s Hot Gospel Songs Chart
- Alveda King: Let Babies and Mothers Off Abortion Bus
- Constitutional Amendment Introduced to Protect Children, Parents
- U.S. House Passes Bill to Protect Unborn in Sixth Month and Later; National Right to Life Commends Seven Georgia Lawmakers