Herman Cain Shuts Down Campaign
Herman Cain said today he is suspending his presidential campaign, acknowledging the toll he's endured from allegations of an extramarital affair.
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
The businessman vowed to endorse one of his GOP rivals and announced he would try to change Washington from the outside.
"The pundits would like for me to shut up, drop out and go away," Cain said at a rally in Atlanta. "Well, as my grandmother who lived to be 104 years old used to say when somebody was dead wrong, 'Bless their little hearts.'
The effective end of Cain's campaign is the latest twist in a volatile race for the GOP nomination. Six different people -- including Cain, a former CEO of Godfather's Pizza -- have been atop the USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.
The current front-runner is former House speaker Newt Gingrich, whose own candidacy was on life support this spring. Gingrich and Cain are also close friends, and Cain once said at a GOP debate that he'd pick Gingrich as his running mate.
The lead-off Iowa caucuses are Jan. 3 -- one month away.
Cain met with his wife, Gloria, and family on Friday to discuss the allegations by Ginger White, an Atlanta woman who says she and Cain have had an off-and-on "sexual affair" for years. He said he gave White money to pay her rent and other bills without his wife's knowledge. But Cain denies an affair and says he and White were only friends.
For Cain - the only major Republican candidate who has never held elected office -- the ride at times has been improbable. The former CEO of Godfather's Pizza and one-time radio talk show host is making only his second run for political office.
Cain billed himself as the unconventional candidate with the unconventional campaign, and rose from obscurity to upset the GOP field in September with a victory at the Florida straw poll.
From there, Cain started to receive national attention - and increased scrutiny - for his signature proposal that calls for a 9% income tax, 9% corporate tax and new national sales tax.
Source: USA Today | Catalina Camia and Jackie Kucinich
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)
- Teddy and Tina Campbell Ask Fans to Fast and Pray for their Marriage
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th Birthday Celebration (Watch)
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th B-day Bash (Watch)
- Congresswoman Hahn Honored by National Bible Association
- The Pulse of Entertainment: OWN Airs Scripted Series Produced by Tyler Perry May 28-29